Commitments Ideas for the 2018-20 NI Open Government Action Plan
We crowdsourced ideas for OG commitments for the 2018-20 Open Government National Action Plan and presented them to government officials before Easter.
Commitment ideas included:
- Introduce a register of lobbyists
- Open Ministerial diaries
- Ensure the open and timely publication of government research and introduce a standardised public register of all commissioned studies.
- Create a Citizens’ Budget
- Unlock and maximise the value of all NI government data linked to location.
- Create an Open Government Charter for Local Government Authorities
- Improve Record-keeping for Good Governance
- Map the Sustainable Development Goals against NI Programme for Government
- Introduce citizen centric data usage reports
- Formally adopt The Declaration of Parliamentary Openness
- Open up the Assembly so more people can contribute and increase citizen involvement in the legislative process
- Develop Open Government Skills across the Public Sector
- Improve consultation practice – Develop process and tools for more effective consultation practices.
- Trial deliberative citizen engagement methods
- Run a PB pilot with a government department and capture and share the learning across government
- Undertake research into options for improving environmental governance in NI, including potential for an independent environmental protection agency
- Ensure the integrity, usability and sustainability of government information
- Commit to the reintroduction of two compendia of official statistical publications – ‘A profile of older people in Northern Ireland’ and ‘Gender Equality Statistics’ annual publications.
- Introduce retrospective transparency on donations to NI political parties
- Disclose information on what decisions senior NI civil servants are legally and constitutionally allowed and expected to make in the absence of Executive Ministers
- Implement Civil Service Guidelines on record keeping for good governance
The ideas presented will be considered at the NI Civil Service Board meeting in May.
A full list of ideas can be found here.